Re: pg_authid.rolpassword format (was Re: [HACKERS] Passwordidentifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol)

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: pg_authid.rolpassword format (was Re: [HACKERS] Passwordidentifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/14/2016 11:41 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Heikki Linnakangas (hlinnaka@iki.fi) wrote:
>> On 14 December 2016 20:12:05 EET, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 11:27:15AM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Storing plaintext passwords has been bad form for just about forever and
> I wouldn't be sad to see our support of it go.  At the least, as was
> discussed somewhere, but I'm not sure where it ended up, we should give
> administrators the ability to control what ways a password can be
> stored.  In particular, once a user has migrated all of their users to
> SCRAM, they should be able to say "don't let new passwords be in any
> format other than SCRAM-SHA-256".

It isn't as bad as it used to be. I remember with PASSWORD was the
default. I agree that we should be able to set a policy that says, "we
only allow X for password storage".

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564