Re: recompliing c-language functions with new releases of postgres

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: recompliing c-language functions with new releases of postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"TJ O'Donnell" <tjo@acm.org> writes:
> I understand and appreciate bug fixes, but isn't one of the purposes of
> major releases to provide some stability (say of API) within
> the major release?

Our traditional definition of API stability within a release series has
considered only the SQL level: no forced initdbs, no changes of
SQL-level semantics (at least not without darn good reason).  Providing
stability of backend-internal APIs has not been on the radar screen at all.

I'm entirely unwilling to buy into a proposal that reads "no .h file
changes within a release series".  To make this fly, there'd need to be
a clear, and rather narrow, definition of which aspects of the backend
internal environment are considered API exported for add-ons to use.
Which would be a good thing to have, really, but even developing a
proposal would be a huge amount of work (never mind getting everyone
to agree to it ;-)).  Are you volunteering?

BTW, this seems pretty far off-topic for -general; I suggest using
-hackers for further discussion.