Re[4]: changing datestyle

От Jean-Christophe Boggio
Тема Re[4]: changing datestyle
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Thomas,

Ref : Tuesday, October 31, 2000 6:46:46 PM

TG> I agree that conf is better than a rebuild in most cases...but:
TG> In Bryan's defence, hacking globals.c *is* recommended in the man pages.

Woops! my apologies to Bryan, haven't read that (or maybe slipped on
it ;-) )

However, I think if the problem arises for me, I will prefer config
over "broken" code : the time it takes to find a cause of trouble is
manageable only with config. My PoV :)

TG> (Nonetheless, I added an explanation - and my patch - to my log files.
TG> I think any DBA/SysAdmin who's been around awhile sees the value of
TG> a good log/commented code...)

The DBA part of me says yes and the developer part is not so sure ;-)

TG> You know one things does cause me to scratch my head: Pg does seem
TG> to require new env vars fairly often.

TG> I had about 4 or 5 set initially, then DBD wanted POSTGRES_INCLUDE
TG> and POSTGRES_LIB.  Now, with a default behaviour change, we need
TG> PGDATESTYLE.  One would think these guys at Pg are a band of merry
TG> pranksters, eh?    ;-)

Apparently, this is just the result of your success !

Have you tried installing Oracle 8.0 and then 8.1 ? Do you know how
many env variables have been added between the 2 versions ? You think
you can tolerate the comparison ?

Regards,

--
Jean-Christophe Boggio