Re: BUG #17073: docs - "Improve signal handling reliability"

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: BUG #17073: docs - "Improve signal handling reliability"
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

On 2021/07/01 10:17, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 5:54 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com <mailto:masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com>>
wrote:

>     On 2021/06/29 10:02, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>      > On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 02:11:57AM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
>      >> The following bug has been logged on the website:
>      >>
>      >> Bug reference:      17073
>      >> Logged by:          Andrey Lizenko
>      >> Email address: lizenko79@gmail.com <mailto:lizenko79@gmail.com>
>      >> PostgreSQL version: 14beta2
>      >> Operating system:   any
>      >>
>      >> Looks like description was missed or corrupted for the following release
>      >> note:
>      >> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/release-14.html <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/release-14.html>
>      >>
>      >> Improve signal handling reliability (Fujii Masao)
>      >> GENERAL ENOUGH?
>      >
>      > It means I am not clear if this text is accurate or needs improvement.
>
>     Since this explains the commit 2945a488a, it's better to describe
>     something like the following?
>
>           Make the standby handle signal promptly.
>
>           Previously there was the case where the standby could not promptly
>           handle the signal like shutdown request received while waiting on
>           wal_retrieve_retry_interval.
>

> The wording still needs some work...but is this even release note worthy?

This change is not so user-visible, so I have no strong opinion about
whether to list this in the release note.

> We forget to check for interrupts before sleeping in an otherwise busy-wait loop.  We corrected the oversight.
>
> Otherwise, "The standby startup process now promptly handles interrupts."
>
> Most of what I'm reading says this only impacted the startup of the standby process; normal operations already worked
correctly. Is that correct?

Yes, you're right.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

Сообщение: Re: BUG #17073: docs - "Improve signal handling reliability"
Сообщение: Re: BUG #17073: docs - "Improve signal handling reliability"