Re: Declarative partitioning - another take

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2016/09/08 21:38, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> create table employee (empid int, dept varchar) partition by list(dept);
>>> create table emp_p1 partition of employee for values in ('IT');
>>> create table emp_p2 partition of employee for values in ('HR');
>>> create table emp_p3 partition of employee for values in (??);
>>
>> Sorry, no such feature is currently offered.  It might be possible to
>> offer something like a "default" list partition which accepts values other
>> than those specified for other existing partitions.  However, that means
>> if we add a non-default list partition after a default one has been
>> created, the implementation must make sure that it moves any values from
>> the default partition that now belong to the newly created partition.
>
> Thanks for clarifying, But I could see same problem of moving data when
> adding a new non-default partition with unbounded range partition.
>
> For example give here, Initially I have create a partition table test with
> test_p3 as unbounded end,
> Later tried to change test_p3 to contain 7-9 values only, and adding a new
> partition test_p4 contain 10-unbound.
>
> --create partition table and some leafs
> CREATE TABLE test (a int, b int) PARTITION BY RANGE(a);
> CREATE TABLE test_p1 PARTITION OF test FOR VALUES START (1) END (4);
> CREATE TABLE test_p2 PARTITION OF test FOR VALUES START (4) END (7);
> CREATE TABLE test_p3 PARTITION OF test FOR VALUES START (7) END UNBOUNDED;
>
> --insert some data
> INSERT INTO test SELECT i, i*10 FROM generate_series(1,3) i;
> INSERT INTO test SELECT i, i*10 FROM generate_series(4,6) i;
> INSERT INTO test SELECT i, i*10 FROM generate_series(7,13) i;
>
> --directly not able to attach test_p4 because of overlap error, hence
> detached test_p3 and than attaching test_p4
> SELECT tableoid::regclass,* FROM test;
>  tableoid | a  |  b
> ----------+----+-----
>  test_p1  |  1 |  10
>  test_p1  |  2 |  20
>  test_p1  |  3 |  30
>  test_p2  |  4 |  40
>  test_p2  |  5 |  50
>  test_p2  |  6 |  60
>  test_p3  |  7 |  70
>  test_p3  |  8 |  80
>  test_p3  |  9 |  90
>  test_p3  | 10 | 100
>  test_p3  | 11 | 110
>  test_p3  | 12 | 120
>  test_p3  | 13 | 130
> (13 rows)
>
> ALTER TABLE test DETACH PARTITION test_p3;
> CREATE TABLE test_p4 (like test);
> ALTER TABLE test ATTACH PARTITION test_p4 FOR VALUES start (10) end
> UNBOUNDED;
>
> --now can not attach test_p3 because of overlap with test_p4, causing data
> loss from main test table.
> ALTER TABLE test ATTACH PARTITION test_p3 FOR VALUES start (7) end (10);
> ERROR:  source table contains a row violating partition bound specification
> ALTER TABLE test ATTACH PARTITION test_p3 FOR VALUES start (7) end (13);
> ERROR:  partition "test_p3" would overlap partition "test_p4"

In this particular case, you will have to move any rows in test_p3 with
key > or >= 10 into the new partition test_p4 using dml (to not lose any
data).  Then attach test_p3 as partition for values start (7) end (10);
you won't get either of the above errors.

Looking forward, what we need I think is a split partition command.
Adding a new partition that overlaps the default list partition or
unbounded range partition could be done by splitting the latter. Perhaps
something like:

alter table test split partition test_p3 at (10) [inclusive | exclusive] with test_p4;

The above command would make test_p3 into 2 partitions:
 test_p3 start (7) end (10) [inclusive | exclusive] test_p4 start (10) [exclusive | inclusive] end unbounded

Any rows in test_p3 with key > or >= 10 will be moved into the newly
created test_p4 as part of the execution of this command.

For your list partitioning example:

create table employee (empid int, dept varchar) partition by list(dept);
create table emp_p1 partition of employee for values in ('IT');
create table emp_p2 partition of employee for values in ('HR');
create table emp_p3 partition of employee for values in (default);

alter table emp split partition emp_p3 with emp_p3 ('ACCT') emp_p4 (default);

Any rows in emp_p3 with key != 'ACCT' will be moved into the newly created
default partition emp_p4.

But for time being, I think we could provide the syntax and mechanism for
default list partition seeing as we have the same for range partitioned
table (namely a range partition with unbounded start or end).  Although
with the limitations as discussed.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Amit