Re: Test::More version

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Test::More version
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/15/21 14:14, Tom Lane wrote:
> =?utf-8?Q?Dagfinn_Ilmari_Manns=C3=A5ker?= <ilmari@ilmari.org> writes:
>> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>>> Based on this, I'm inclined to think we should select 0.98 as the
>>> minimum version.  Anything later would inconvenience some people.
>>> OTOH, it doesn't look like there's any value in promising compatibility
>>> with 0.96 instead, especially since I see a couple of subplan-related
>>> bug fixes in 0.97 and 0.98 in Test::Simple's changelog.
>> FWIW, here's a list of Test::More versions shipped with various Perl
>> releases. Since v5.12.0, the version does not change in minor releases.
>>   v5.12.0    0.94
>>   v5.14.0    0.98
> Ah-hah, that's a good way to think about it too.  There's surely
> little reason in worrying about a module version that did not ship
> in any Perl release, because what 99.9% of people will have is what
> shipped with their Perl release.

And newer versions of Test::Simple/Test::More still work with very old
versions of perl. jacana runs prove with perl 5.8.8 but has Test::More
1.001014

So I agree 0.98 seems like a perfectly reasonable target. You should be
able to drop a replacement on prairiedog quite simply. For jacana I just
unpacked it and pointed PERL5LIB at it.

cheers

andrew

--