Re: High cpu usage after many inserts

От Jordan Tomkinson
Тема Re: High cpu usage after many inserts
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Jordan Tomkinson <jordan@moodle.com> wrote:
> As per the spreadsheet
> (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pu_k0R6vNvOVP26TRZdtdYw) CPU usage
> is around 50% and starts climbing over 3 hours until we have just under
> 10,000 rows of data then stays at 99% for the duration of all future tests.
> Once the rows are removed the tests start back down at 50% usage again.

Oh, ok. well that's pretty normal as the indexes grow large enough to
not fit in cache, then not fit in memory, etc...  Are you noticing a
sharp dropoff in performance?

Again as per the spreadsheet, you can see the tests normally take around 130 seconds to complete, but after many rows are inserted they start to take upwards of 500 seconds. I can leave the server idle for days (over the weekend infact) and start a new test to reproduce the results (500+ seconds), so i dont think its a delayed write issue (surely 2 days is enough?)

What configuration options should I be looking at to make sure it fits in the cache? I have 8GB available and no matter how much I tweak i cannot get it using any more than 2GB. the DB is almost 4GB in size on disk and as this is a dedicated sql server for just 1 database, id really like to have the whole thing in memory if possible.