Re: Partitioning - when is it too many tables?

От Tony Wasson
Тема Re: Partitioning - when is it too many tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3/23/06, Wes <wespvp@syntegra.com> wrote:
> This keeps the indexes a more or less reasonable size, and allows quick
> deleting of the old data.  Is there any problem with 180 child tables?  How
> many would be too many (e.g. if I did one table per 6 hours?)

I am not a guru. Many, many people on the list have more experience
with Table Partitioning (CE), however I will share my experience. I
did some work with CE for our syslog data collection with some nice
results.

* I found that making functions to do the setup work for CE is a must.
* I also found that using 1 rule per table to do query rewriting can
become a bottleneck. This was fine for a small case (20-30 rules), but
it didn't scale nicely when we had 300 rules.

I made 1 table per day and got a nice boost in query speed.

So in short, I think this will work nicely for you. COPY does not
invoke rules, so you should be fine.