Re: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_from_source_code

От Joel Jacobson
Тема Re: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_from_source_code
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Wed, May 12, 2021, at 22:33, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2021-05-11 17:04:57 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Another option would be to look at what the Debian/Ubuntu packages have for
> build dependencies.  That list is more likely to be up to date, and tuned
> and trimmed to policy.  (For example, listing "libpython3.8-dev" will
> probably get out of date soon; there might be a better way to write that in
> a more timeless way.)

Yea, I typically just do an 'apt-get build-dep postgresql' to get ready
for building PG on a system. Especially handy for the docs tooling.

Thanks for the advise on using 'apt-get build-dep postgresql'.

I added a "deb-src" line in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list:

I then ran 'sudo apt-get update'

However, there still seems to be a long list of missing packages, required to compile PostgreSQL with all features enabled:

/configure --prefix="$HOME/pg-head" --enable-nls --with-perl --with-python --with-tcl --with-icu --with-llvm --with-ssl=openssl --with-gssapi --with-ldap --with-pam --with-systemd --with-libxml --with-libxslt --with-lz4 --with-pgport=54321 --enable-debug --enable-cassert --enable-tap-tests --enable-depend --enable-coverage --enable-profiling --enable-dtrace

For instance, lcov, systemtap-sdt-dev, clang, pkg-config libicu-dev liblz4-dev, just to name a few.

Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I should use a different deb-src url?

If not, and if packages are really missing, then maybe the could be added to the build-dep,
or if we don't want to include all such packages since one might want to build without the additional options,
then what about adding a table to the Wiki that shows what packages are needed for each --with/--enable option?
If we like that idea, I can put together such a table, or if you have other ideas on how to improve the situation, I'm happy to implement any solution you think is feasible.

/Joel