Re: password_encryption default

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: password_encryption default
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/29/20 3:33 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 02:53:17PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> More along these lines: We could also remove the ENCRYPTED and UNENCRYPTED
>> keywords from CREATE and ALTER ROLE.  AFAICT, these have never been emitted
>> by pg_dump or psql, so there are no concerns from that end.  Thoughts?
>
> +0.5.  I think that you have a good point about the removal of
> UNENCRYPTED (one keyword gone!) as we don't support it since 10.  For
> ENCRYPTED, I'd rather keep it around for compatibility reasons for a
> longer time, just to be on the safe side.

By that logic, I would +1 removing ENCRYPTED & UNENCRYPTED, given
ENCRYPTED effectively has no meaning either after all this time too. If
it's not emitted by any of our scripts, and it's been effectively moot
for 4 years (by the time of PG14), and we've been saying in the docs "he
ENCRYPTED keyword has no effect, but is accepted for backwards
compatibility" I think we'd be safe with removing it.

Perhaps a stepping stone is to emit a deprecation warning on PG14 and
remove in PG15, but I think it's safe to remove.

Perhaps stating the obvious here, but I also think it's a separate patch
from the $SUBJECT, but glad to see the clean up :)

Jonathan

Вложения