Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon

От: Vivek Khera
Тема: Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Re: Opteron vs Xeon (Was: What to do with 6 disks?)  ("Anjan Dave", )
 Re: Opteron vs Xeon (Was: What to do with 6 disks?)  ("Joel Fradkin", )
  Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Joel Fradkin", )
    Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Josh Berkus, )
     Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Vivek Khera, )
    Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (John A Meinel, )
     Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Joel Fradkin", )
      Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (John A Meinel, )
       Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Tom Lane, )
        Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Joel Fradkin", )
       Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Joel Fradkin", )
        Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
         Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Kevin Brown, )
          Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Josh Berkus, )
           Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Kevin Brown, )
            Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
      Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Josh Berkus, )
      Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Andreas Pflug, )

On Apr 20, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Realistically I don't think a 30k$ Dell is a something that needs to
>> be
>> junked. I am pretty sure if I got MSSQL running on it, it would
>> outperform
>> my two proc box. I can agree it may not have been the optimal
>> platform. My
>> decision is not based solely on the performance on the 4 proc box.
>
> Oh, certainly it's too late to buy a Sunfire or eServer instead.   You
> just
> could have gotten far more bang for the buck with some expert advice,
> that's
> all.   But don't bother with Dell support any further, they don't
> really have
> the knowledge to help you.

FWIW, I have a $20k Dell box (PE2650 with 14-disk external PowerVault
RAID enclosure) which I'm phasing out for a dual opteron box because it
can't handle the load.  It will be re-purposed as a backup system.
Damn waste of money, but complaining customers can cost more...

Trust me, it is likely your Dell hardware, as moving to the Opteron
system has improved performance tremendously with fewer disks.  Same
amount of RAM and other basic configurations.  Both have LSI based RAID
cards, even.