Re: Low performance on Windows problem

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Low performance on Windows problem
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> Hello.
>
> I would like to build a shared repository for Enterprise Architect
> (http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/ea.htm) using PostgreSQL. I have done
it
> before with Linux and FreeBSD servers and everything was working out
of
> the
> box. The repository is pretty simple database with less than 100
tables
> (the
> schema is at
> http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/downloads/corp/Postgres_Basemodel.sql).
>
> The problem is that at the moment I have only a Windows XP "server" at
my
> disposal. I have installed PostgreSQL 8.0.3 for Windows and set the
> repository up. Unfortunately the performance is unacceptable: every
> operation with the model stored in the repository is by the order of
> magnitude slower than on the FreeBSD server with half as good
hardware.
> (BTW CPU load is nearly 0, network load is under 5%, the machine has
1GB
> RAM and the database size is 14MB.)
>
> I have tried to:
> - tweak the postgresql.conf - no apparent change
> - kill all unnecessary services - no apparent change
> - install MySQL on the same machine to compare - it is as fast as
> PostgreSQL
>   on FreeBSD (= way faster than PG on the machine)

Can you give specific examples of cases that are not performing like you
expect?  If possible, give a few queries with explain analyze times and
all that.

Are you syncing your data?   Win32 fsync is about 1/3 as fast as linux
fsync, although this was changed to fsync_writethrough for clarification
purposes.

Merlin