Re: insert performance for win32

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: insert performance for win32
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 19:11, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Here's the timeofday ... i'll do the gprof as soon as I can.
> Every 50000 rows...
>
> Wed Sep 07 13:58:13.860378 2005 CEST
> Wed Sep 07 13:58:20.926983 2005 CEST
> Wed Sep 07 13:58:27.928385 2005 CEST
> Wed Sep 07 13:58:35.472813 2005 CEST
> Wed Sep 07 13:58:42.825709 2005 CEST
> Wed Sep 07 13:58:50.789486 2005 CEST
> Wed Sep 07 13:58:57.553869 2005 CEST
> Wed Sep 07 13:59:04.298136 2005 CEST
> Wed Sep 07 13:59:11.066059 2005 CEST
> Wed Sep 07 13:59:19.368694 2005 CEST

ok, I've been in crunching profile profile graphs, and so far have been
only been able to draw following conclusions.

For bulk, 'in-transaction' insert:
1. win32 is slower than linux.  win32 time for each insert grows with #
inserts in xact, linux does not (or grows much slower).  Win32 starts
out about 3x slower and grows to 10x slower after 250k inserts.

2. ran a 50k profile vs. 250k profile.  Nothing jumps out as being
slower or faster: most time is spent in yyparse on either side.  From
this my preliminary conclusion is that there is something going on in
the win32 api which is not showing in the profile.

3. The mingw gprof cumulative seconds does not show measurable growth in
cpu time/insert in 50k/250k profile.

I'm now talking suggestions about where to look for performance problems
:(.
Merlin