Re: PERFORMANCE ISSUE ODBC x LIBPQ C++ Application

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: PERFORMANCE ISSUE ODBC x LIBPQ C++ Application
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> Hi !
>
> My company is evaluating to compatibilizate our system (developed in
> C++) to PostgreSQL.
>
> Our programmer made a lot of tests and he informed me that the
> performance using ODBC is very similar than using libpq, even with a
big
> number of simultaneous connections/queries. Of course that for us is
> simpler use ODBC because will be easier to maintan as we already
support
> a lot of other databases using ODBC (MySQL, DB2, etc).
>
> Someone already had this experience? What are the key benefits using
> libpq insted of ODBC ?
>
> Our application have a heavy load and around 150 concorrent users.

The ODBC driver for postgresql implements its own protocol stack.
Unfortunately, it is still on protocol revision 2 (out of 3).  Also, IMO
libpq is a little better tested and durable than the odbc driver.  This
naturally follows from the fact that libpq is more widely used and more
actively developed than odbc.

If you are heavily C++ invested you can consider wrapping libpq yourself
if you want absolute maximum performance.  If you happen to be
developing on Borland platform give strong consideration to Zeos
connection library which is very well designed (it wraps libpq).

You might want to consider posting your question to the odbc list.

Merlin