Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> FWIW, I don't see the issue as "internal vs external" at all.  What's
> bothering me is whether these views can be considered sufficiently
> more stable and better designed than the physical system catalogs
> to justify recommending that application designers should rely on
> the views instead of the catalogs.  That point doesn't seem to me
> to have been proven.  The recent arguments in favor seem to boil down
> "novices will find these easier to use", which is very possibly true,
> but novices don't have the same needs as programs.

Argument 2: they can be dropped or modified.  A few weeks ago I was
complaining about non-priv users being able to see all my source code in
pg_proc.  Problem solved.  Now I can totally shut down pgAdmin for a
class of users if I desire (and I do).

Argument 3: backwards compatibility.  Do you remember how tablespaces
introduction broke pgAdmin?

Merlin