Re: What kind of performace can I expect and how to measure?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: What kind of performace can I expect and how to measure?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Joost wrote:
> My system is a PostgreSQL 7.4.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC
gcc
> (GCC) 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7). It has a Pentium III-733 Mhz
> with 512 MB ram. It is connected to my workststation (dual XEON 1700
with
> 1 Gb RAM) with a 100 Mb switched network.
>
> I have a table with 31 columns, all fixed size datatypes. It contains
> 88393 rows. Doing a "select * from table" with PGAdmin III in it's SQL
> window, it takes a total of 9206 ms query runtime an a 40638 ms data
> retrievel runtime.
>
> Is this a reasonable time to get 88393 rows from the database?
>
> If not, what can I do to find the bottleneck (and eventually make it
> faster)?

The 9206 ms time is what the database actually spent gathering the data
and sending it to you.  This is non-negotiable unless you bump up
hardware, etc, or fetch less data.  This time usually scales linearly
(or close to it) with the size of the dataset you fetch.

The 40638 ms time is pgAdmin putting the data in the grid.  This time
spent here is dependant on your client and starts to get really nasty
with large tables.  Future versions of pgAdmin might be able to deal
better with large datasets (cursor based fetch is one proposed
solution).  In the meantime, I would suggest using queries to refine
your terms a little bit...(do you really need to view all 80k records at
once?).

Merlin