Re: About inheritance

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: About inheritance
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
> Diogo,
>
> > And how about just saying something in the docs like: deprecated ?
> > Or let the code and rip off just the docs about inheritance.
>
> It's not completely broken.   It just has some significant
limitations,
> and
> those limitations are not being worked on.
>
> If anything, we should just insert a cautionary note about the
indexing
> issues
> in the docs.

IMO, inheritance is pretty much useless.  What it is supposed to do can
be done much better with views, etc.  IMO, at the very least inheritance
features should be removed from the tutorial in the docs.  They are a
leftover from a different period when postgres was still making the
transition from a 'object relational' dbms to a SQL dbms.

I can't really comment on 'ripping out' strategies, but I don't think
there would be many complaints of inheritance was relegated to a
footnote in the docs and the default GUC setting was defaulted to
'false'.

Merlin