Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Usability, MySQL, Postgresql.org, gborg, contrib, etc.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:
> PostgreSQL. Maybe it is in the form of a web server like Samba's SWAT
> utility, I don't know (A SWAT type utility could run as the PostgreSQL

I've found webmin to be pretty good swat type tool...it's lacking some
things to be a full postgres administration system, but I think they
have the right idea...
> (4) Blessed projects, lets play favorites. Lets find good and
meaningful
> extensions on gborg and ./contrib and work with the authors and make
them
> part of the PostgreSQL "environment."  Projects like, replication,
.NET
> service provider, ODBC, pgAdmin, etc. are important and users need to
find
> them close to PostgreSQL's main location.
>
> (5) Programming languages. We need to make a programming language
standard
> in PostgreSQL. plpgsql is good, but isn't someone working on a Java
> language. That would be pretty slick.

Personally, I like the idea of plphp better.  I haven't used either,
though.  plgsql will always have value in converting oracle deployments,
so it is truly hard to standardize on a favorite here.

I think the latest versions of pgAdmin are just awesome.  I never used
to like it very much, but it really is great software.  I think any
effort expended on beefing that project up is not wasted.

Merlin