Re: ('dog$house' = quote_ident('dog$house')) is surprisingly FALSE

От Bryn Llewellyn
Тема Re: ('dog$house' = quote_ident('dog$house')) is surprisingly FALSE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net wrote:
>
>> bryn@yugabyte.com wrote:
>>
>> What we deal with in our ordinary professional work is SQL texts, program source texts, within these, SQL identifier
texts,and then the conventional display of the results of SQL and program execution. To emphasize the point about
resulstdisplay, try "\d s.*" in "\t off" mode.

>> [Allow me to re-write my bext few words, for sport.]
>>
>> But a SQL statement with the following text representation
>>
>> drop table "s.silly name”
>>
>> when presented to the psql CLI as a text command in its language by appending a semi-colon causes that program to
respondwith some text that tells me that there's no such table.

> And, indeed, there isn't. Perhaps there's a table s."silly name”. It is accidental if unfortunate that the <s.silly
name>is quoted with ""'s in the \d output...

I believe that you and I see things the same way, Karsten. Yes, it does seem at times that some things in PG are
accidental—andsometimes prove to be unfortunate.

Naturally, my questions to this list concern what know that I don’t understand. (Who knows what I think that I
understand—butdon’t. And who knows what I don’t even suspect is there waiting for me to try to understand.) To err is
human—andit’s human, too, to misunderstand something when the proper understanding seems to be counter-intuitive. In my
case,I developed my intuitions in the context of a different RDBMS with notions and terms of art that differ very
significantlyfrom PG’s—even though the core SQL syntax and semantics are deceptively similar.

Maybe I should send posts to this list like this:

«
I just wrote and tested a PG implementation to do something I hadn’t done before. I was very impressed at how
straightforwardit was—and with how expressive of my intentions the text of my code seemed to be. Well done PG.
»

I do very often have that experience. But I’ve never seen a contribution along those lines in this forum—and I’ve
formedthe impression that it would be out of place.

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: pg_restore creates public schema?
От: Bryn Llewellyn
Сообщение: Re: ('dog$house' = quote_ident('dog$house')) is surprisingly FALSE