Re: Automating Partitions in PostgreSQL - Query on syntax

От Zeugswetter Andreas OSB sIT
Тема Re: Automating Partitions in PostgreSQL - Query on syntax
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Which leads me to the same conclusion: anything as complicated as CASE
> is the wrong design.  But perhaps for slightly different reasons.

What I like about the sql CASE is, that it is expression based, and thus
allows full flexibility in partitioning and is highly self documenting.

Do we need to invent special syntax, or could we use common syntax and
detect specific use cases and handle them specially ?

e.g. "when a >= const1 and a < const2 ...; when a >= const2 and a < const3" - check a btree opclass exists for datatype
ofa- prove the partitions don't overlap- prove the btree order of the partitions- ...

Andreas