Re: Column oriented pgsql

От Christophe
Тема Re: Column oriented pgsql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On May 8, 2009, at 11:25 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> you read your tables by column, rather than by row??
> SQL queries are inherently row oriented, the fundamental unit of
> storage is a 'tuple', which is a representation of a row of a table.

I believe what is referring to is the disk storage organization,
clustering a single column from multiple rows together onto a page.
For example, if your typical use of a table is to read one particular
column from a large number of rows, this could (in theory) improve
performance.

AFAIK, PostgreSQL doesn't support this.