Re: Updated macOS start scripts

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: Updated macOS start scripts
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Nov 15, 2017, at 8:32 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> The stuff in contrib/start-scripts/osx/ does not, as far as I know,
> work at all on any recent release of macOS, because SystemStarter
> is long gone.  I propose replacing it with the attached, which
> I've tested on current-vintage Macs.

I tested the presence of SystemStarter, which the old implementation
uses, and launchd and launchctl, which your new implementation uses,
on a couple of my mac laptops:
OS X 10.11.6    SystemStarter  - not installed    launchd - installed    launchctl - installed
OS X 10.6.8    SystemStarter - installed    launchd - installed    launchctl - installed

According to Wikipedia:

"SystemStarter appears to have been removed from OS X 10.10 and later (reference needed)."

and

"In Mac OS X v10.4, it was deprecated in favor of launchd"

Overall, I think supporting 10.10 and greater is more relevant than continuing
to support 10.4 and earlier, though I suppose someone could argue for
keeping both in side-by-side files with the README directing users which to
use for whichever version of OS X they happen to be running.  It's of no
consequence to me, since my oldest mac is running 10.6.8, but somebody
from the museum of old macs might feel differently.

mark