Re: Trigger disactivation and SELECT WAITING

От Philippe Lang
Тема Re: Trigger disactivation and SELECT WAITING
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks Tom, thanks Janning,

I found triggers very convenient to do different tasks in the database, and these tasks go far beyond what we can do in
rules,Janning.

When a line is being inserted in an order, the insert trigger automatically inserts data in a subtable of the order
line,for example. In this subtable, there are informations regarding the "planning" of the order. People can use the
GUIto populate the order, but things won't break if the user opens the database table directly, which can happen
sometimes.Without the trigger, an "insert function click" would have to be used each time an order line is being added,
andthis is not that effective from a user-experience point of view, I think. Or would require a lot a client-coding.

Now the use of a trigger has a drawback: when you want to duplicate an order, for example. During the duplication
function,I would like to disable the trigger, in order to make a copy of the order, order lines, and order lines
subtabledata. This is much easier than keeping the trigger, and having to delete default data it inserts in the new
order.

I'm not sure how I can improve the trigger in this case, and make it smarter, so I don't have to disable it during
duplication...

I hope I was clear...

Philippe