Re: Delphi 2005, Postgresql, ZEOS & optimistic locking

От Philippe Lang
Тема Re: Delphi 2005, Postgresql, ZEOS & optimistic locking
Дата
Re: Delphi 2005, Postgresql, ZEOS & optimistic locking  (Ralf Schuchardt <rasc@gmx.de>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Thanks for your answer, but I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. What I was used to with MS
Access/ODBC/Postgresql,in a multiuser network scenario, is the following:

- User A loads data in a form
- User B loads the same data in a form.
- Before user A makes changes, B makes his changes, and commits them.
- User A makes changes, and tries to commit them, but... the software shouts, because meanwhile, someone else made
changesto the data loaded in the form.

That's what I call optimistic locking.

Between each step, you can easily imagine a duration of several minutes, so from my point of view, this is not a
featurethat has to be implemented with things like isolation level & database locking. These transactions have to be as
shorta possible, right?

Until now, I was not able to reproduce optimistic locking with Delphi/ZEOS.

With Dephi/BDE/ODBC, this is different: as soon as you try updating a field that has been modified by someone else
meanwhile,the field is automatically updated for you before you start making your own changes, and of course before you
tryto commit them. That's fine too. I would have preferred an error personnally.

Is there a way to do the same with ZEOS? Or maybe is there another mecanism that could be used to do optimistic
locking?Some kind of "long transactions", in the database server?

Philippe Lang