Re: Problems running PostGreSQL silent install

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Problems running PostGreSQL silent install
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Thank you for the reply.
> But then are you saying I don't even really need to use the
> MSI in the first place?
> I can just copy the files to a folder. Then run initdb and pg_ctl?

Sure. The MSI is just a convenient way to get everything into place, and
to set icons and stuff.

> I am bundling PostGreSQL with my software package. And will
> be using Installshield to copy my program files to the client
> computer.
> Now can I just get the PostGresql folder, put it where I
> want, then Run initdb and pg_ctl?

Yes, certainly. If you just need the backend, you will just need that
and possibly set some permissions. You can look at the code to
pginstaller (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller/) to get details
of exactly what it does. Much of the code is to deal with service
account verification and creation - if you already have this solved
elsewhere, you can probably get around things much easier.

//Magnus