Re: pgAdmin3 1.4 stability issues on ubuntu/dapper

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pgAdmin3 1.4 stability issues on ubuntu/dapper
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
> > Hm, they are using gcc 4.0.3 by default. Since using that compiled
> > lead to a pgadmin3 that wouldn't even start up, I'm now
> using gcc 3.3.
> > Of course, wx is compiled with 3.3 too, but gtk and friends are the
> > ubuntu version, and therefore compiled with 4.0.3 I
> believe. But for
> > _C_ code, mixing compiler versions shouldn't hurt, should it?
>
> It certainly can do (recent example; wx built with VC++ 6.0
> won't work with pgAdmin built with VC++ 8.0 at all). Dunno if
> there are any incompatible changes between the GCC versions though.

That's not because the *compilers* are different, that is because they
link to different versions of the runtime (libc/msvcrt versions). This
is documented as safe if and only if you don't pass CRT pointers between
the two modules. (for example, this kills gettext because of the
overriding of the *printf* functions)

As long as the lib is the same, the compiler *sohuldn't* matter. That's
not to say that it's so in reality, though ;-)

//Magnus