Re: Hanging queries on dual CPU windows

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Hanging queries on dual CPU windows
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> > > Could it be they broke it when they did that????
> >
> > In theory, yes, but it still seems a bit far fetched :-(
>
> Well, I rolled back SP1 and am running my test again. Looking
> much better, hasn't locked up in 45mins now, whereas before
> it would lock up within 5mins.
>
> So I think they broke something.

Wow. I guess I was lucky that I didn't say it was impossible :-)

But what really is happening. What other thread is actually holding the
critical section at this point, causing us to block? The only places it
gets held is while looping the signal queue, but it is released while
calling the signal function itself...

But they obviously *have* been messing with critical sections, so maybe
they accidentally changed something else as well...

What bothers me is that nobody else has reported this. It could be that
this was exposed by the changes to the signal handling done for 8.1, and
the ppl with this level of concurrency are either still on 8.0 or just
not on SP1 for their windows boxes yet... Do you have any other software
installed on the machine? That might possibly interfere in some way?

But let's have it run for a bit longer to confirm this does help. If so,
we could perhaps recode that part using a Mutex instead of a critical
section - since it's not a performance critical path, the difference
shouldn't be large. If I code up a patch for that, can you re-apply SP1
and test it? Or is this a production system you can't really touch?

//Magnus