Re: problem with windows xp sp2 and postgres-8.1.3

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: problem with windows xp sp2 and postgres-8.1.3
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> the lsp-fix did the trick. As you supposed it was a personal
> firewall (however a great product, called armor2net
> personal), which unfortunately was broken with the winsock lib.

Obviously not a gread product, I'd say, if it breaks the winsock stack.
Which the hole purpose of a firewall is to protect, really...

> Strange problem with it however, that it hasn't got any
> problems with the earlier version of Postgres (last i had to
> use was: 8.0.4 on win32)

Yes, that's very interesting indeed. I don't think we made any major
changes with that one. This is on the same machine? Perhaps some other
piece of software was also installed, that triggered the problem?

> I reconnected my windows-integrated firewall, which caused
> some problems, but i managed it to work (System
> Properties/Advanced/Performance -> Settings/ Data Execution
> Prevention/Turn on DEP for all programs and services except
> those I select: Add-> psql, pgadmin, postmaster)

That's not relaly the firewall. Nonetheless, it's very interesting. Did
you really need it for all those programs? I don't recall having ever
had to set that, but it could be that it's not supported by the CPU on
any of my test machines :-) But it specifically surprises me that it was
necessary for psql and pgadmin.

//Magnus