Re: [ADMIN] ERROR: could not read block

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [ADMIN] ERROR: could not read block
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> None of this seems material, however.  It's pretty clear that
> the problem was exhaustion of the Windows page pool.  Our
> Windows experts have reconfigured the machine (which had been
> tuned for Sybase ASE).  Their changes have boosted the page
> pool from 20,000 entries to 180,000 entries.  We're
> continuing to test to ensure that the problem is not showing
> up with this configuration; but, so far, it looks good.

Nope, with these numbers it doesn't. I was looking for a reason as to
why it would exhaust the pool - such as a huge number of connections.
Which doesn't appear to be so :-(

Another thing that will affect this is if you have a lot of network
sockets open. Anything like that?

BTW; do you get any eventid 2020 in your eventlog?

> If we don't want to tell Windows users to make highly
> technical changes to the Windows registry in order to use
> PostgreSQL, it does seem wise to use retries, as has already
> been discussed on this thread.

Yeah, I think it's at least worth a try at that.

//Magnus