Re: License question

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: License question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
<snip>

> This brings me here. I have heard of PostGreSQL, so it's not
> new to me.
> But all this licensing is. And maybe you can help get some
> clarification for the MySQL licensing too.
>
> We will not be selling the database software. We may install
> it for them, though. In fact, most of the time, we will be
> the ones to install it, and we charge for that time. Our
> customers are very aware that we did not write it, nor are we
> selling it. Even if they are to purchase SQL Server, they are
> the ones to purchase it directly, not us. We purchase the
> connectivity kits that we use to connect to the database, and
> then pass that cost on to the customer. It is purchased in
> their name with their information. We do not charge extra or
> tack on any fees.
> We do it this way so that no screw ups are made... The
> connectivity kit is the one that connects to the database; we
> connect to the connectivity kit through our software.
>
> Knowing all this, what do we need to purchase, what can we do
> and what can't we do? It's hard getting a straight answer
> from anyone that is why I am here. If we can't do it, we
> won't. If we can save our customers some money while getting
> them really good options and software, we would like to do
> that. But on the same token, we don't to do anything unfair
> or illegal.

For the database, nothing. Even if you sell the db itself, you pay
nothing. It's as free as it gets, that's what the BSD license is. See
http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence - that's all there is to it.

You will need npgsql
(http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/npgsql/projdisplay.php) to connect
from .net, which is licensed LGPL. This means that you can link to it at
no charge, but if you make any modifications to it, you have to make
them opensource (LGPL also). But here too, there is nothing you need to
buy.

To connect with ODBC, you need the pg ODBC driver, which is also LGPL.

If you need technical expertise you don't have, you may want to sign a
support contract with a company for your systems, which will of course
cost money. but there is no licensing fee, and if you can deal with the
support issues in-house, there is no cost at all.

The difference with MySQL is that you either license it commercially
(and pay), or under GPL. GPL (unlike LGPL) requires you to license
*your* software as GPL as well.

//Magnus