Re: windows installation

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: windows installation
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
>ok.=20
>i succesfully installed postgresql 8 on my windows xp sp2 machine, few
>weeks ago. i am a newbie to sql generally, as well as to postrges
>i configured my server to run on localhost, everything was fine. i
>need to mention that the machine is part of a active directory
>network, corporate 350+ machines, policies, etc.
>the thing is that i haven't started postrges for about a week, during
>wich time i have not made changes to the machine, nor installed any
>software that could affect the performance/security/policy allready
>running on my machine, a p4 -3,2 HT, 512 DDR, 80 GBsata, a rather nice
>machine, otherwise.
>when i tried to connect to the database, i received an error, that i
>cannot connect to the database as a superuser. i have configured
>.\postgre to run automatically on system start, and worked just fine.
>i only modifyed the tmplate to logon to a custom test database, but i
>worked fine everytime before the pause i already mentioned.
>after varoius error messages, error log, etc i discovered the service
>to have been disabled, and set for deletion.

This usually happens at *uninstall*. Postgresql never reconfigures it's
own service entry - it doesn't even have permissions to do it.

> as i could not modify
>it's state through "normal" procedure - mmc console, i
>regedit-modifyed the service's state to autimatic from disabled.

This is a bit dangerous. You need to modify service stuff through the
service control manager. There is a commandline tool called "sc" that
can do this for you.
The service control keys in the registry are not supposed to be
concurrent-editing safe.

>the thing is, that when i attempt to start, i get an error message that
>the service could not start because it is eighter disabled, or has no
>devices attached to it. in the service's propeties box, at the
>start parameters box - blank. if i need start parameters can u please
>give me some feedback on this regard, or if there's something else,
>please let me know.
>i checked with the network admin, and there is no change=20
>lately in the pilocies.

Again, a lot of this looks like an uninstall of the product that did not
complete all the way (if you rebooted at this point, it would probably
be completely gone from the service list)

>i guess it's useful to know that there is a concurrent-login
>prohibiton policy, and event log says

As long as you only run one service, Windows only makes one login for
the user, so this shouldn't be the problem. Do you get this error every
time you try to start the service?

//Magnus