Re: ARC patent

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: ARC patent
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 18:43 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I have already
> >> suggested to core that we should insist on 8.1 not requiring an
> >> initdb, so as to ensure that people will migrate up to it
> easily from 8.0.
>
> > So is it firm policy that changes that require a catversion update
> > cannot be made during the 8.1 cycle?
>
> Not yet --- I suggested it but didn't get any yeas or nays.
> I don't feel this is solely core's decision anyway ... what
> do the assembled hackers think?

An idea around this would be to plan never to release 8.1. Instead,
direct HEAD towards 8.2 with a normal dev cycle (or rather, let's aim
for a short one, but in reality short may not be all that short..). Then
the eventual ARC replacment (assuming there is one) gets backpatched to
the 8.1 branch which is basically only contains all patches from 8.0.x
plus the ARC stuff.

It's a bit more to fiddle around with, but it lets people continue
working on features that requires initdb.

Just a thought...

//Magnus