Re: Any chance of a merge module?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Any chance of a merge module?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers-win32
> What would it take to make the PG installer into a merge
> module?  I don't have the stuff to build PG so I can't build
> the PG install, though I do have Wix.  It would make my life
> (and anyone else using PG for a specific app) a lot easier if
> you guys would allow us to embed the PG install in our own
> install.  This would let us just pass in the setup info for
> the app and let PG install mostly silently. For my app, the
> only thing the user needs to see from PG is the license which
> is different from the commercial license on the rest of the
> product. The rest I can configure from the main install.
> Right now the end user has to configure things right and
> follow directions, and that leads to tech support issues when
> they screw up.  I tried using the silent install option on
> the main MSI and got all sorts of problems.  (Besides, many
> Win2k setups with their old MSIexec don't even support a silent
> install.)

Hi. There is a bunch of things in the installer that currently does not
work well when run as MSM. For example, the whole initdb handling. At
least that was the case when I last tried it :) We could do a MSM with
just the files, but I assume that's not what you're after?

So I would recommend the silent install method. What are your problems
with that one? I think it's probalby easier to solve those.
(Also, what's the problem with the old MSIs? I thought msiexec always
supported that?)

//Magnus