Re: Misc. Win32 questions

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Misc. Win32 questions
Дата
Re: Misc. Win32 questions  (Ian Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers-win32
>Hi
>
>can someone confirm the following obvervations / questions
>regarding PostgreSQL on Windows (I'm writing an article and don't want
>to give wrong information):
>
>- the directory with the various bin utilities (initdb etc.)  isn't
>appended to the system path during installation;

Correct. However, we are planning to add it as an *option* for those who
want it. It will never be necessary.

>- a reboot during / after installation is not necessary;

Normally, correct. A reboot may be required when upgrading from an
earlier version if that one is not stopped by default. But in all normal
cases, reboot is not requried.

>- there's no tab-expansion support in psql. Is that a licensing
>issue or a Windows issue?

Definitly not a licensing issue.

>- is the only way to start initdb and co. from the Windows
>command-prompt thingy?

Correct. Apart fromt he installer that automatically calls initdb, of
course.

>- how can I reload the server after changing a config file
>(without forcibly
>stopping / starting the server)?

You can either use "pg_ctl kill", or you can send a "pause" command to
the service.

>- (embarassing question) how do I execute a command on the Windows
>command line thingy where the path has a space in it (C:\Program
>Files\...)?

Put quotes around it.
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0.0-rc1\bin\psql" template1

//Magnus