Re: Built-in CTYPE provider

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Built-in CTYPE provider
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2024-03-22 at 15:51 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I think this might be too big of a compatibility break.  So far,
> initcap('123abc') has always returned '123abc'.  If the new collation
> returns '123Abc' now, then that's quite a change.  These are not some
> obscure Unicode special case characters, after all.

It's a new collation, so I'm not sure it's a compatibility break. But
you are right that it is against documentation and expectations for
INITCAP().

https://unicode-org.github.io/icu-docs/apidoc/dev/icu4c/stringoptions_8h.html#a4975f537b9960f0330b233061ef0608d
https://unicode-org.github.io/icu-docs/apidoc/dev/icu4c/stringoptions_8h.html#afc65fa226cac9b8eeef0e877b8a7744e

> Or we should create a function separate from initcap.

If we create a new function, that also gives us the opportunity to
accept optional arguments to control the behavior rather than relying
on collation for every decision.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis