Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Euler Taveira
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 4, 2024, at 3:05 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
Won't it be a better user experience that after setting up the target
server as a logical replica (subscriber), it started to work
seamlessly without user intervention?

If we have an option to control the replication slot removal (default is on),
it seems a good UI. Even if the user decides to disable the replication slot
removal, it should print a message saying that these replication slots can
cause WAL retention.

> The initial version had an option to stop the subscriber. I decided to
> remove the option and stop the subscriber by default mainly because (1) it is
> an extra step to start the server (another point is that the WAL retention
> doesn't happen due to additional (synchronized?) replication slots on
> subscriber -- point 2). It was a conservative choice. If point 2 isn't an
> issue, imo point 1 is no big deal.

By point 2, do you mean to have a check for "max replication slots"?
It so, the one possibility is to even increase that config, if the
required max_replication_slots is low.

By point 2, I mean WAL retention (sentence inside parenthesis).

--
Euler Taveira