Re: panic on 7.3

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: panic on 7.3
Дата
Re: panic on 7.3  (Rick Gigger <rick@alpinenetworking.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Rick Gigger <rick@alpinenetworking.com> writes:
> Postgres version 7.3.4

You realize of course that that's pretty old ...

> That is right now.  Right after it started up it went up to 0292.

So it was the latest file eh?  I thought maybe you had some problem
with a corrupted XID leading to trying to touch a clog file
out-of-order, but that seems ruled out.

>> 2006-01-20 11:50:51 PANIC:  creation of file /var/lib/pgsql/data/
>> pg_clog/0292 failed: File exists

Digging in the 7.3 sources, it seems that error message could only have
come from here:
   fd = BasicOpenFile(path, O_RDWR | PG_BINARY, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR);   if (fd < 0)   {       if (errno != ENOENT)
  elog(PANIC, "open of %s failed: %m", path);       fd = BasicOpenFile(path, O_RDWR | O_CREAT | O_EXCL | PG_BINARY,
                    S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR);       if (fd < 0)           elog(PANIC, "creation of file %s failed: %m",
path);  }

AFAICS, it is simply not possible for the second open() to fail with
that errno, *unless* someone else created the same file in the
microseconds between the two open calls.

The code doing this has a lock on the particular clog buffer it's trying
to write out, so no-one else could be trying to write the same buffer;
but now that I look at it, it's entirely legal for someone else to be
trying to write a different clog buffer.  This leads to the following
theory:

1. The clog page that would be first in the 0292 segment got created in
clog buffers, but there was no reason to write it out for awhile.  (In
normal operation, only a checkpoint would be cause to write out the
frontmost page of clog.)

2. More than 2K transactions elapsed, so the page that would be second
in the 0292 segment also got set up in clog buffers.  (Rick, is the load
on your machine such that several thousand transactions might have
elapsed between checkpoints?)  Perhaps there were even enough
transactions so that more than two pages were dirty and pending write
in the clog buffers, yet the file hadn't been created yet.

3. Two different backends decided to try to write different clog pages
concurrently.  Probably one was writing the frontmost page because it
was doing a checkpoint, and another needed to read in an older clog page
so it had to swap out one of the other dirty buffers.

4. Kaboom.

If this theory is correct, the bug has been there since the clog code
was first written.  But the conditions for having it happen are narrow
enough that it's not too surprising we haven't seen it before.

I think that a sufficient fix might just be to remove the O_EXCL flag
from the second open() call --- ie, if someone else creates the file
in this narrow window, it should be considered OK.  Comments?