Re: New statistics for tuning WAL buffer size

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: New statistics for tuning WAL buffer size
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2020/09/30 20:21, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 9:23 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for your suggestion.
>>> I understood that the point is that WAL-related stats have just one counter now.
>>>
>>> Since we may add some WAL-related stats like pgWalUsage.(bytes, records, fpi),
>>> I think that the current approach is good.
>>
>> +1
>>

> Okay, it makes sense to keep it in the current form if we have a plan
> to extend this view with additional stats. However, why don't we
> expose it with a function similar to pg_stat_get_archiver() instead of
> providing individual functions like pg_stat_get_wal_buffers_full() and
> pg_stat_get_wal_stat_reset_time?

We can adopt either of those approaches for pg_stat_wal. I think that
the former is a bit more flexible because we can collect only one of
WAL information even when pg_stat_wal will contain many information
in the future, by using the function. But you thought there are some
reasons that the latter is better for pg_stat_wal?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center