Re: Fwd: upgrade to PG11 on secondary fails (no initdb was launched)

От Fabio Pardi
Тема Re: Fwd: upgrade to PG11 on secondary fails (no initdb was launched)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Mariel,

On 5/23/19 1:07 PM, Mariel Cherkassky wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I upgraded the primary, then I run the rsync command in the primary :
> rsync --archive --delete --hard-links --size-only --no-inc-recursive
> /var/lib/pgsql/data /var/lib/pgsql/11/data/
> secondary_ip:/var/lib/pgsql/data/

rsync needs only 2 arguments, not 3.

You are here passing /var/lib/pgsql/data /var/lib/pgsql/11/data/
secondary_ip:/var/lib/pgsql/data/

and if you try to do that, you will end up copying the content of the
first folder into the third.

Therefore your secondary database will contain what on the primary is in
/var/lib/pgsql/data/ (guess, 9.6.0)

Also, I do not think it best practice (or perhaps not correct at all) to
use '--size-only'

> in the secondary I checked the version file and it was 11 :
> [secondary]# cat PG_VERSION
> 11

from which folder are you running that? And what is the PGDATA of your
standby server?

regards,

fabio pardi