Re: Is the doc for SHOW somewhat stale?

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Is the doc for SHOW somewhat stale?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2020/10/06 16:53, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> Hello.
>
> If I read the documentation of the SHOW command, it says:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/sql-show.html
>
>> name
>>    The name of a run-time parameter. Available parameters are documented
>>    in Chapter 19 and on the SET reference page. In addition, there are a
>>    few parameters that can be shown but not set:
>>       SERVER_VERSION
>>       SERVER_ENCODING
>>       LC_COLLATE
>>       LC_CTYPE
>>       IS_SUPERUSER
>> ALL
>>    Show the values of all configuration parameters, with descriptions.
>
> It seems to me GUC variables of PGC_INTERNAL are shown above, but
> there are 13 other variables of that context.  On the other hand
> is_superuser is not shown in pg_settings view nor by SHOW ALL
> (GUC_NO_SHOW_ALL).
>
> is_superuser is commented as the follows in guc.c:
>
>> /* Not for general use --- used by SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION */
>
> So, if I followed the current style of the page, we should:
>
>   - remove IS_SUPERUSER  from the documentation.

-1
Because "show is_superuser" has been documented and supported for a long time.
As far as I just googled, there seem some cases where that command is used.

>   - add the 13 variables.
>
> However, it seems better that that item simply points to "19.15 Preset
> Options" instead, as attached.

+1 to remove the descriptions of server_version, server_encoding, lc_collate
and lc_ctype, in order to get rid of the duplicated descriptions.
But ISTM that we don't need to add the pointer to "20.15 Preset Options"
because there is already the pointer to "Chapter 20" in the docs and that
chapter obviously includes "20.15 Preset Options".

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

Сообщение: Re: Aw: Re: Minor documentation error regarding streaming replication protocol
Сообщение: Re: Aw: Re: Minor documentation error regarding streaming replication protocol