Re: [GENERAL] looking for a globally unique row ID

От Gmail
Тема Re: [GENERAL] looking for a globally unique row ID
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> As you may have noticed, I've put significant effort to focus the
> discussion on my actual question: the "global index" (which btw I didn't
> know is called this way here - if I new, I'd probably could have google
> it instead). This was intentional. I like my schema design very much and
> I'm unwilling to part with it.
>

> no, it doesn't.
>
> T1 is empty. It's just a head of inheritance tree.
>
> There is no guarantee (index on T1 will have no entries). But naturally
> there are ways to "smartly" partition the ID space allocated to
> subtables of T1.

OK. Wow, that's sure not how I read the docs on inheritance, but I've never used the construct thinking it was largely
syntacticsugar on master/detail based scheme designs.

But since you're wed irrevocably to your scheme design, I'll bow out of this discussion.
All the best,
rjs