Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> writes:
> Postgres, yes.  PostgreSQL, no.  PostgreSQL was a new project with
> Postgres95 as a starting point.  Postgres95 was an attempt to put an
> SQL front-end on Postgres.

Right; original Postgres used a query language called "POSTQUEL",
which was sort of like SQL but not compatible.

> AFAIK, most all of the Postgres code was jettisoned early on for
> performance reasons.  That makes PostgreSQL roughly five years old,
> code-wise.

This I dispute.  A lot of the core functionality has a very traceable
lineage back to original Postgres; even though some details of the code
may have been revised pretty heavily, the algorithms and design
decisions remain.  This has good points and bad points ;-) ... but
it's absolutely not true that Postgres95 threw away the existing code
and started over.  As you said yourself, it was more of a question of
sticking a new frontend (ie, parser) on the existing database engine.