Re: profiling connection overhead

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: profiling connection overhead
Дата
Re: profiling connection overhead  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Are you sure you haven't just moved the page-fault time to a part of
> the code where it still exists, but just isn't being captured and
> reported?

I'm a bit suspicious about that too.  Another thing to keep in mind
is that Robert's original program doesn't guarantee that the char
array is maxaligned; though reasonable implementations of memset
should be able to use the same inner loop anyway for most of the
array.

I did some experimentation here and couldn't find any real difference in
runtime between the original program and substituting a malloc() call
for the static array allocation.  Rolling in calloc in place of
malloc/memset made no particular difference either, which says that
Fedora 13's glibc does not have any optimization for that case as I'd
hoped.