Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2

От Joel Jacobson
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4 sep 2014, at 15:32, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/04/2014 01:14 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>>     A more SQL-ish way of doing the same could probably be called COMMAND
>>     CONSTRAINTS
>>     and look something like this
>>
>>     SELECT
>>     CHECK (ROWCOUNT BETWEEN 0 AND 1);
>>

>> It is very near to my proposed ASSERT
>>

> Only if the ASSERT syntax would become part of the original statement, it
> is supposed to check. In Hannu's command constraint example above, the
> statement that causes the error, and thus will be logged and become
> identified by the error message, is the actual SELECT (or other DML
> statement).

this is valid argument.

On second hand, I proposed a ASSERT that was not based on expressions only.
There is not a technical issue to write assert with knowledge of related
statement.

> I think I like the COMMAND CONSTRAINT the best so far.

I not, because when it will not be part of SQL, than parser in plpgsql will
be more complex. You have to inject SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE

This is what I suspected. You are against the best syntax because they are
more complex to implement. I think that's coming into the discussion from
the wrong direction. First agree on the best syntax, then worry about the
implementation.

I also understand the syntax changes will mean a lot of trouble for your
plpgsql_check_function() project, but that cannot hold us back, we must aim
for the best possible syntax with plpgsql2.
Your work with plpgsql_check_function() btw saved me hundreds of hours of
work, when we upgraded from 8.4 a few years ago, many thanks Pavel!

Pavel