Re: BUG #12242: No error - if there is no comma seperator

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #12242: No error - if there is no comma seperator
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
omkar1103@gmail.com writes:
> Below script does not throw error
> =======================================
> SELECT
> claim_status,
> claim_key
> FROM tbl_claim
> WHERE claim_key IN
> (
> '1140799265'
> '2129945595'
> )

> Throws Error
> =======================================
> SELECT
> claim_status,
> claim_key
> FROM tbl_claim
> WHERE claim_key IN
> (
> '1140799265' '2129945595'
> )

Yup.  This is not only not a bug, it's behavior required by the SQL
standard.  Literal strings are concatenated automatically as long as
they're separated by a newline.  This is mentioned in the PG docs
under 4.1.2.1. String Constants:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-CONSTANTS

(This is one of many decisions I'm sure the SQL committee would like
to have back, but we're pretty much stuck with it now.)