Re: EXPIRE as a statement

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: EXPIRE as a statement
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:
> Blagoj Petrushev wrote
>> I know for example that redis has this feature, the EXPIRE / EXPIREAT
>> / TTL commands.
>> http://redis.io/commands/expire

One thought here is that recent versions of the SQL standard contain some
temporal-data features, which might well be usable for the purposes
envisioned here.  I'd much rather see us implementing SQL-spec features
than randomly invented ones, so please take a look into the spec before
going too far with EXPIRE.

Having said that, I rather doubt that any such feature is likely to be
worth the implementation complexity and overhead.  The previous suggestion
of a cron-like daemon is probably far more likely to be acceptable;
it'd be less work, have a lot more use-cases, and be less likely to add
overhead that's useless to users who don't need the feature.