Re: Configuration Issue ?

От Mark Lonsdale
Тема Re: Configuration Issue ?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

Hi Josh

Thanks for the feedback, that is most usefull.  When you said one of the
settings was likely killing us, was it all of the settings for
max_fsm_relations, max_fsm_pages, and sort_mem or just the setting for
sort_mem ?

Can you explain why the setting would be killing me :-)

Thanks

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua D. Drake [mailto:jd@commandprompt.com]
Sent: 25 October 2006 21:52
To: Mark Lonsdale
Cc: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Configuration Issue ?

Mark Lonsdale wrote:

> Hi
>

> Please help.  I have got a postgres 7.3.4 database running on RedHat
ES
> 3, with 8GB of physical memory in it.   The machine is shared with my
> application which is pretty intensive in doing selects and updates
> against the database, but there are usually no more than 10
connections
> to the database at any time.
>

> shared_buffers = 393216         # min max_connections*2 or 16, 8KB
each

The above is likely hurting you more than helping you with 7.3.

> max_fsm_relations = 10000       # min 10, fsm is free space map, ~40
> bytes
>
> max_fsm_pages = 160001          # min 1000, fsm is free space map, ~6
>
> bytes
>
> sort_mem = 409600               # min 64, size in KB

The above will likely kill you :). Try 4096 or 8192, maybe 16384
depending on workload.

> vacuum_mem = 81920              # min 1024, size in KB

This is fine.

> Also if you have any recommendations regarding effective_cache_size Id
> be interested as reading around this sounds important as well

About 20-25% of available ram for 7.3.

The long and short is you need to upgrade to at least 7.4, preferrably
8.1.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/