Re: Can I create a TYPE (or DOMAIN) with arguments?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Can I create a TYPE (or DOMAIN) with arguments?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:58:07AM -0600, Erik Jones wrote:
>> Postgres doesn't support parameterized type declarations directly
>> (that I've ever heard of), but you could probably write a function
>> that uses EXECUTE to do this.

> IIRC 8.3 will include the user-defined typmod which will allow such
> constructs...

That won't help for this particular problem, though --- composite types
don't take typmods, and there'd be no mechanism to pass it down to the
varchar field if they did.  I don't think the OP can solve his problem
just with spare parts.  In 8.3 he could write a primitive type that
behaves the way he wants, but it'd take an annoyingly large amount
of custom C code :-(