Can't get MS Access via ODBC (or MapServer) to 'see' the data unless the user is a 'super user'...

От Greg Cocks
Тема Can't get MS Access via ODBC (or MapServer) to 'see' the data unless the user is a 'super user'...
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hello,

Yep, a newbie, at least to PostgreSQL + ODBC / MapServer...   :-)

I have:

 - built and populated a PostgreSQL database (including PostGIS, in case that matters in this case)

 - set up ODBC (using psqlodbc-08_02_0500), using the Unicode version as a System DNS

 - successfully connected to the tables in PostgreSQL from an Access 'front end' I built, updated tables, etc, etc

The user in PostgreSQL/ODBC was a super user - lets call that user FRED...

Wanting now to 'lock this down' a bit security-wise, I:

 - set FRED as *not* being a Super User

 - made a new group role, lets call that grpWrite

 - assigned (sic) FRED to grpWrite

 - set the GRANT permissions on all the non-system tables to be SELECT, INSERT, DELETE and UPDATE (took me a bit to
findand use that function!), so the grpWrite privileges on each non-system table reads 'arwdx'

 - *tested FRED with phpPgAdmin - works just as expected*, full read write access to the data - but NOT things such as
vacuum,etc

 - checked the TEST on my ODBC driver, 'CONNECTION SUCCESSFUL'

When I go to the Access 'front end' now, I can refresh all the tables in the Linked Table Manager (suggest the CONNECT
isA-OK) but when I try and view data in a table, etc I get the error in MS Access:

    ODBC--call failed
    ERROR: permission denied for relation <table_name>;
    Error while executing the query (#7)

Tried, with no luck:

 - setting the GRANT on the group role to include REFERENCES

 - opening the MS Access database on the PostgreSQL server

 - as a last resort, setting the GRANT in grpWrite to ALL

The minute I change FRED back to being a Super User, works like a charm...

** Suggestions and experiences gratefully accepted! **

Note that MapServer has the same need for FRED (sic) to be a Super User...

Thanks in advance!

----------
Regards,
GREG COCKS