Re: Why do we let CREATE DATABASE reassign encoding?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Why do we let CREATE DATABASE reassign encoding?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> AFAIR, the only reason that we haven't disallowed this sort of stuff
> years and years ago is that people use it; the Japanese in particular.
> I don't see what is different now.

What's different now is that 8.4 has already established the principle
that you have to clone template0 if you want to change the locale of a
database.  I think this is a good time to establish the same principle
for encodings.  (Or in other words, if we don't fix it now, when will
be a better time?)